Monday, March 2, 2009

My Light is Too Dim

...God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)
My light is too dim to hold back all my dark. And yet, "...if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his son, purifies us from all sin. (1 John 1:7)
Throughout his writings, John uses metaphors to illustrate his points, light representing what is good, true and holy; darkness representing what is evil and false; and walk a metaphor for living. John's pastoral writings encourage us "to have fellowship" with Him, and with each other.I for one need that fellowship. I need the support of believers in my daily life. I need encouragement to continue the good fight.John uses the word sin 27 times in his first epistle. That sounds like a metaphor for pay attention here to me. Sin severs my walk with God, cuts it short. Since God so graciously sent His only Begotten Son "so that [I] would have life" (find it in John's Gospel), and I don't want my walk (living) cut short, I need a way to be rid of my sin. My Abba was also gracious enough to provide that.If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9) John packs some very important concepts into his first letter, important concepts for my daily Christian walk. In so doing, he reveals perhaps the greatest need I have for Christian fellowship. How do I go about this problem of confession? What is confession, anyway?The Greek word John used that translates as "confess" means "to say the same thing as", or "to agree with." It is less of a grocery list of my wrongdoings than it is an understanding that I live in a state of sin - "off the mark" is how sin translates.
... confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. (James 5:16) The issue of confession is not about keeping my relationship with God alive. Regardless of how I am living here on this planet, my relationship with God exists. I want my fellowship with Him restored. I want my walk with Him to continue. I want that spiritual connection with my brothers and sisters in Christ to improve. I want to be healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment