Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Another Re-post I need to hear

The heart that serves,
and loves, and clings,
Hears everywhere the rush
of angels wings.

There seems a divine mystery in suffering. In everything I have read, its supernatural power is not completely understood by human reason. But I do believe that no one has ever developed a deep level of spirituality, or holiness, without experiencing a great deal of suffering. When a person who suffers reaches a point where he can be calm and carefree, inwardly smiling at the suffering, and no longer asking God for deliverance from it; then the suffering has done its divine work, its blessed ministry. Perseverance has "finished[ed] its work" (James 1:4), and the pain of crucifixion has begun to weave itself into a crown. I am not there yet, but I get glimpses of how it is.

It is in this experience of complete suffering that the Holy Spirit works His miracles deep within our soul. In this condition our entire being must lie perfectly still under the hand of God. "Be still, and know that I am God," (Ps 46:10). Every power and ability of the mind, human will, and heart are at last submissive and the quietness of eternity will settle into our soul. Finally, the mouth becomes quiet, having only a few chosen words to speak; we cease to mimic Christs' words from the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Ps 22:1)

I cease to imagine castles in the sky, pursuing foolish ideas. My reasoning becomes calm and relaxed, with all choices removed save one, Gods' purpose for me. My emotions weaned away from other people, places and things, feeling almost deadened so that nothing can hurt, offend, hinder or get in His way, I can let circumstances be what they may and continue to seek only His will with calm assurance. He is causing, or allowing, everything in the universe (regardless of my perceptions of "good" or "bad"), past, present and future, to work "for the good of those who love Him." (Rom 8:23)

Absolute submission to Christ is a blessing we must earn. We can only earn it, however, when we lose our own strength, ambition, wisdom, plans and desires - when every ounce of our being becomes a vessel capable of holding the life He intended for us to enjoy from the beginning. He doesn't seem to bless anything less. The main thing is to suffer without becoming discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment