Monday, March 15, 2010

Spiritual Liberalism

The lyrics of an Austin Lounge Lizards song remind me that just because God loves us all "doesn't mean He won't incinerate some." What does happen at judgement day? What happens to those who do not hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant"? Much more learned minds than my own have pondered this question through the ages.

Matthew records one of Jesus' teachings thus; "Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" (Matt 7:22-23) Jesus had just finished a parable that explained that entrance to heaven required doing His Father's will here on earth.

So where do they go? Where is away? And how does an all loving God reconcile condemnation with His nature of love?

I struggle with the image of hell presented through the ages. Fire and brimstone, tortured forever by a host of horned demons with prodding pitchforks, slowly being turned on a spit over perpetually glowing coals - is this a hell that was dreamed or spoken into existence by the Most Creative Being? Or is this the construct of human intelligence bent on scaring the hell out of mankind, pun intended.

I take some license here and dare to say that the thought of being turned away by God at the entrance to heaven may just be hell itself. To be in the presence of the Almighty One, my brother Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, to have my character defects and negative impact on God's creation revealed to me in such a way as to clarify that the things I pursued on earth were truly their own reward, and all I will get, forever, - that sounds like hell. Having my life opened before me will I feel guilty for things I have said and done, for things left unsaid and undone? Doubtless I will. There are things from my life I would prefer never saw the light of day, let alone judgement day.

There is a difference between guilt and shame. We feel guilty about things we have done. Guilt brings on remorse and can lead to a change in our behavior that is repentance. Shame, however, is about what we are. Shame is so deep and painful it can cripple us for a lifetime, and maybe eternity.

Personally, I do not believe in ghosts. But I think there is something to the image presented in Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. The condemned must forever walk the earth carrying the weight of their sins and shame as chains to weigh them down. Is this the picture of a heavy heart? Is this the feeling of shame, to be carried without relief forever as my eternal reward?

What actually happens to those turned away at that moment I can not say. I can say that my hope is that an all-just, all-merciful, all-loving God would not torture the condemned. But I see a poetic justice in allowing them to torture themselves, knowing that treasures beyond our human understanding had awaited them from the beginning of time. What actually happens to those whose fate is condemnation is none of my business. And once in heaven, where there will be no more tears, those whom we cared for among the condemned will be forgotten forever. That, too, sounds like hell.

1 comment:

  1. "There is a difference between guilt and shame. We feel guilty about things we have done. Guilt brings on remorse and can lead to a change in our behavior that is repentance. Shame, however, is about what we are. Shame is so deep and painful it can cripple us for a lifetime, and maybe eternity..." I love this and believe this, and it was so hard to comprehend that the word shame was even in the Bible. I just started researching it myself.

    ReplyDelete