Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Miracles Do Happen

Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. "Quick, get up!" he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists. (Acts 12:7)

About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God... Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody's chains came loose. (Acts 16:25-26)

This is the way God works! In our darkest hour, He walks to us across the waves, just as an angel came to Peter's cell as execution day dawned. God has a simplicity about Him that defies my logic. Yet He is much more resourceful than I can imagine. He is more than equal to any circumstance in my life. He may keep me waiting, but He will remember His promise to me and will appear in time to fulfill His sacred Word that cannot be broken.

I live free of regrets today, the prison I created in destroying my marriage through alcohol and drug abuse has been leveled to its foundation. I still ache for her, and what we shared, but it no longer holds me prisoner. That may always remain as the "thorn in my flesh". To see her rise and flourish has been a painful answer to a prayer that God grant her every good thing in life. And maybe He will again present me with the one He meant for me to be with. But wishing things were different has been a chain, now broken by His Holy Spirit guiding me to an unknown future, free from fears and worries about what it holds.

Not knowing what surprises He has in store for me is an exciting challenge. With scarcely 9 months of sobriety I have the honor and privilege of guiding 3 men through the steps, just as my sponsor continues to walk me through them. That the four of us share faith, (I am still working on witnessing to my sponsor) and common experiences helps to keep me strong. But foremost in my mind today remains the knowledge that God, in His providence, has thousands of keys to open thousands of different doors in order to deliver His own, no matter how desperate the situations become. I need only be faithful to do my part, to believe in Him and step out in faith, and place Christ's part on Him and leave it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment