Monday, May 3, 2010

I Have Written About This Before

Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved. (Joel 2:32)

So why don't I call on His name? Why do I run to this person or that person, when God is so near and will hear my faintest call? Why do I sit down to plot my own course and make my own plans? Why don't I immediately place myself and my burden on the Lord? Since the shortest distance between here and there is a straight line, why don't I run directly to the living God?

Instead, I too often look in vain for deliverance everywhere else. Feelings of independence and insignificance come to mind as a cause, but I've written those thoughts already. And still I battle. It must be something deeper. Faith, or trust, perhaps? I think not.

I think it has more to do with my having too small of a concept of God. I have placed His mystery and wonder in a box that I open when I remember, instead of allowing Him access to "my" world. To be sure, I carry that box around with me. After all, I require ready access to God, when I remember Him.

I am amazingly forgetful some days. With Him I never need to ask if I may call. And the word everyone is all inclusive, all encompassing. It includes me and also means anybody and everybody who calls on His name.

My situation is urgent, and I cannot see how I will ever be delivered. Yet this is not my concern. God made the promise and I believe He will find a way to keep it. My part is simply to obey His commands, not to direct His ways. I am His servant, not His advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment