Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Melancholy Birthday

"Why must I go about mourning?" (Ps 42:9)

Why can't I answer this question? I can find no good reasons anymore why I am so often in mourning (or in the depths of depression) instead of rejoicing. But I allow my mind to dwell on gloomy thoughts as though night will never end, or as if the "winter of my discontent" has no spring following.

Day does dawn after night, spring follows winter and showers from heaven follow periods of spiritual drought. As a believer, I must learn to "live by faith, not by sight." (2 Cor 5:7)

God never intended for us to live by our feelings. Our inner self, and certainly Satan, would prefer if we did. But God wants us to face the facts, not feelings. Facing the facts of Christ, and His finished and perfect work for us allows Him to take care of my feelings. My feelings are as uncertain and ever-changing as the sea, or shifting sand. God's facts, however, are as certain as the Rock of Ages Himself - "Jesus Christ... the same yesterday and today and forever." (Heb 13:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment