Tuesday, November 10, 2009

During the Holidays - Here's a Thought

If you knew the end was near, if you knew you had 2 days to live, what would you do or say to leave a lasting impression? What thoughts would you want to clarify to your family and friends given that the last things we say are what will be most remembered?

I wanted to find out what my Savior's last teaching was so off to His Big Book to try to put a time line together for His last days. I have read the passage many times, but never before with the thought that these were among His last words.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" (Matt 25:35-40)
It is easier to think of those less fortunate than myself at this time of year. But realizing that this command was among Jesus' last, a Man who knew He had but hours before His crucifixion, causes me to think that He wanted this to stay top-of-mind. And not just at this traditional time of giving, but year-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment