Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Climbing Life

In my youth I spent much time climbing rock in Yosemite, The Pinnacles and a number of other places. I often think back on those times, on the lessons learned when you must place your life in another's hands. Climbing partners were carefully chosen. They were a lifeline, and in more than one instance, the reason I am alive today. The man on the other end of your rope is crucial to a successful climb. Part friend, confidante, coach, support group. Climbing partners need to be so in tune with each other that they intuitively respond to movements; strong, steady, alert. Encouragement from the belay can make or break the climb, and the climber.

I took on a new belay, a new partner, when I accepted Christ as my Savior. He gave me His harness, the Holy Spirit, and a brand new rope, His Word. It became my lifeline, my connection to reality. My first few moves were strong, confident, almost graceful. But I lost my focus, my strength began to fade, and with height came fear. I lost my footing, I lost my grip. I fell. For a moment it seemed like forever. Wildly tumbling, out of control, out of self-control, disoriented, dislodged; falling.

When the rope tightened and the tumble ceased I found my equipment to be sound; harness and rope intact. I looked at my belay, found Jesus had secured my soul. A sheepish confession, a wan smile and I continue my climb. But it was my partner's reaction that startled me most. "When you have come through the time of testing, turn to your companions and give them a fresh start" (Luke 22:32 TM) You see, the only person surprised by my fall was me.

So I tell of what climbing has done for me, what my partner/belay/lifeline, my Guide does for me now. Wiser, I have slowed my pace. I am more cautious, yet more confident. And while I can't really see my Guide, I know he is there.

To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy - to the only God, our Savior, be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen (Jude 24 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment