Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Simple Lesson

"Late that day he said to them, 'Let's go across to the other side.' ... A huge storm came up. Waves poured into the boat, threatening to sink it... They roused him saying, 'Teacher, is it nothing to you that we are going to drown?'" (Mark 4:35-38 TM)

This is one of those passages I'd like to write a few paragraphs about. I would offer encouragement to readers with trite sayings like, "If God leads you to it He'll see you through it." A most fitting expression here, isn't it? It is almost enough said on the topic, too.

Jesus' response, "Why are you such cowards? Don't you have any faith at all?" (v. 40) was a modest rebuke. It was early in Jesus' ministry as recounted by Mark. And the type of faith needed to rebuke the elements while the Master slept had yet to be developed among His disciples.

I get a smile, knowing what I do now of Jesus. My own relationship with Him today imagines a smart-alec reply on His part. "I didn't say lets go to the middle of the lake and drown. Keep rowing"

No comments:

Post a Comment