Tuesday, June 22, 2010

More Spiritual Matters

It seems the two most difficult things to get right in life are love and God. In my life, more often than not, the messes I have made can be traced directly to failure, stupidity, or outright meanness in one or both of these areas. My conviction as a Christian is that God and love are intricately connected; completely inter-twined. To deal with God the right way I must learn to love the right way. If I want to love the right way, I must deal with God the right way. God and love cannot be separated.

In reading 1, 2, & 3John I get wonderfully explicit directions in how this works, and what it should look like in my life. Jesus provides the full understanding of God, the mature working-out of love. In Jesus, God and love are linked accurately, intricately and indissolubly, in human form.

There will always be people who don't want to be pinned down to the God that Jesus reveals. They want to make up their own idea of God. They would prefer to make up their own style of love. Perhaps this is an underlying reality in the problems that have beset human relationships in society today. Even God-fearing Christians will listen to false witness, bad teaching and illogical advice.

"Stay with what you heard from the beginning, the original message. Let it sink into your life. If what you heard from the beginning lives deeply in you, you will live deeply in both Son and Father." (1John 2:24 TM)

No comments:

Post a Comment