Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A More Simple Rant

Written sometime in early June as I recall. I really need to date my scribbles.


Health issues continue to plague me. I delayed a cancer procedure in order to get into a clinical trial. After acceptance to that trial I again delayed treatment once. Tomorrow was the day we were to start the process. But God has other plans.

It turns out I am hypoglycemic. Yesterday's collapse in the store and subsequent ambulance ride to the hospital disclosed an underlying medical condition I had not discussed with my oncologist before application to clinical trials. And I am learning it may necessitate my being dropped. It seems they want to work with (otherwise) healthy cancer patients.

But God continues to continually provide for my spiritual growth and my amusement. Case in point: I don't have a club card for the local supermarket where I stay. I have simply not taken the two or three minutes required to fill out the form. Instead I use my ex-wife's phone number. To me that is simple. So I will recount a conversation at the check-out stand.

- Clerk: "Do you have a club card?"
- Me: "No. I use my ex's phone number."
- Clerk: "That's nice of you to let an old boyfriend accumulate rewards."
- Me, barely able to contain myself in a mixture of laughter and confusion: "Huh?"

Now, this did not take place in the Castro district of San Francisco. This is in Carmel Valley. It is more gentrified than it once was, but have things really changed that much? I made a mental note of the name on her tag.

- Me, somewhat more composed: "Thank you, Eunice. But even my worst nightmares have never included an ex-boyfriend."

To continue the conversation beyond that moment would have been needlessly awkward for both of us. But it gave me an opportunity to reflect on the need for God's love, and restraint of tongue.

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." (James 1:19-20)

No comments:

Post a Comment