Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hey!!! Pick Up The Phone!!!

"I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?'" (Isaiah 6:8)

There are many things that compete for my attention on a daily basis: friends call and text, recovery from alcohol and drug addiction is a priority, family members ('nuff said), children, a new granddaughter I have seen but twice and who managed to capture my heart. Television and radio advertising may refocus my attention for a spell, sporting events and a desire for physical activity also call to me.

Some of these "calls" will be answered and others will not be heard. Calls are an expression of the nature of the one who calls. This is not an abstract concept. It is a matter of communication and relationship, expressed in terms of human understanding. Except in one case.

The call of God is an expression of His nature and is beyond my understanding. He has carefully woven His call throughout my life and once in a while I have been wise enough to pick up the phone. I use that metaphor quite purposely because I believe God wants me, and You too, to know Him so desperately that He will go to extraordinary lengths to get my (our) attention. And once He has me focused on Him, He will speak directly into my heart.

For much of my life I had no idea of the nature of God and so I could not understand what He was saying to me. As I awakened from my self-absorptive slumber His voice became more clear. Today I recognize that He's using the most advanced wireless technology imaginable.

Isaiah was in tune with God due to a great crisis he had endured, and God's word penetrated his soul. At that point it was literally decision time - Listen or Ignore?

Me. Send Me Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment