Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On Perseverance

Perseverance through adversity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with absolute assurance and certainty that what we are longing for is going to happen. Perseverance means more than merely hanging on, which may only be exposing our fear of letting go and falling. Perseverance is our supreme effort of refusing to believe that our hero can be conquered, or our team will be defeated.

But what of spiritual perseverance? My greatest fear is not that I will be damned for all eternity, but that somehow my Jesus will be defeated. Fears need not be rational, so play this out and see if it resonates.. In analyzing this fear I realize it's a fear that the very things He stood for - love, justice, forgiveness, kindness, charity - will not win out in the end; that my pursuit of these things will have been in vain, that these are unattainable goals.

This is at the core of my call to Spiritual Perseverance. It is not a call to hang and do nothing, but to work deliberately, knowing with certainty that God will never be defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment