Monday, August 30, 2010

Junkyard Wars

A television series of recent years was titled Junk Yard Wars. As I recall, two competing teams would build a device of some kind that had to do something, using only the the things found in a junkyard. I never really paid much attention, obviously. It's short life indicates few others did either.

But the concept now occurs to me that this is how Christ has built His church here on earth. Christ is building His kingdom using all the scrap people He can get His Hands on, so to speak. And he is doing it using my hands; continually fighting to win the prize at the end of the show.

For many years I used the 'hypocrisy of the pious' as my excuse to avoid any relationship with God. But sometime after He chose to save me from myself I began to realize that the entire church here on earth is filled with broken, damaged, discarded and recycled former reprobates like myself. Ok, not all of you fit the reprobate description. But my point remains the same.

While many people desire only the best, the unmarred things in life with which to build their legacy, the unblemished fruit for personal consumption, Christ is quietly gathering a raucous crowd of misfits around Himself. The God of those who have failed, the God of the unsuccessful is filling heaven with the lives of those broken here on earth. In my case, He continues to lift earth's saddest failure up to heaven's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment