Monday, February 22, 2010

It's Just News

The breaking surf is barely audible over the gentle drumming of rain on my fiberglass canopy. Not at all disquieting, the changes in wind and rain created a varying rhythm of tap-tap-tapping. It is comforting. The faint scent of salt air being cleansed in the downpour is whetting a three day old appetite. Hell, I'm hungry!

I am sipping hot peppermint tea. It's pungent aroma also teases my taste buds, treating my senses as delicately as its warmth treats my spirit. My little alcohol stove is working at capacity, simmering a mild mixture of peppers, onions and rice.

I've been in shock since being told that the blood I vomited three days ago has brought to light a more serious matter. Three sites were biopsied during the endoscopic procedure, the bleeder cauterized.

I've known for some time that my hiatal hernia increased the risk of developing cancer. When there is little that can be done about a problem it is easy for me to ignore or forget about it. It will be another week before the biopsy results are available. I don't think I'll be forgetting this.

No comments:

Post a Comment