Friday, April 23, 2010

What Is The Problem

As I write at the beach God is showing off again. This is possibly the fiercest gale of the winter. The wind buffets my truck with enough force to shake my writing. Rain and sand mix in a horizontal splash against my windows. High, violent surf has closed the beach, nearly inundated by waves reaching ten feet and churning perhaps one hundred yards of steely blue-white foam across the shore. What am I to make of this day?

My therapist quoted someone else this morning, saying that "the problem is not the problem." Unconventional wisdom to be certain. So then, what is the problem? And if the problem is not the problem, what is the solution?

In my experience the problem is often my reaction to the problem. Or perhaps the problem lies in the fact that I react to problems rather than responding to opportunities. Or maybe, just maybe, the problem is that I still rely on my intellect to sort through my "problems."

"Blessed are the poor in spirit." (Matt 5:4) In Hebrew culture the term translated as spirit refers to our intellect. What was Jesus saying? Blessed are the mentally challenged, the slow, the dim-witted? Poor in intellect - this is nothing I plan to strive for. Sorry Lord, but I will take a pass on that blessing. Luckily this is not what He meant. The term 'poor in spirit" refers to those begging for wisdom, His wisdom.

So back to my problem, or problems, or confusion about my problem, reaction or incorrect responses or whatever..... I have a problem with applying my intellect to the challenges He presents to me. My most basic problem may be one of perception. The challenges I have been presented are blessings-in-progress in God's world. My faith does waiver a bit from time to time and I take back the reigns in an attempt to take back control of my life.

"He did not waiver... regarding the promises... being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised." (Rom 4:20-21) Abraham stood straight, not bending beneath the staggering load of God's blessing.

So, being poor in spirit becomes the solution to my problem. Now what was that problem again?

No comments:

Post a Comment